When you were growing up, did you ever receive a Florida orange in your Christmas stocking?
The tradition putting oranges in a Christmas stocking goes back to the story of St. Nicholas back in the 4th century. The origin of oranges in stockings follow this tale:
“One day, Nicholas met a poor man who could not provide dowries for his three daughters, so they could not get married. Nicholas, being both charitable and kind, decided to do something about it. He came to their home the next night and threw three bags of gold for their dowries down the chimney. The bags landed in the stockings the girls had hung to dry in front of the fireplace. In the morning, the girls found the gold in their stockings and were overjoyed. They were now able to marry. Oranges symbolize the bags of gold at the bottom of the stockings.”
Before the 19th century, oranges were a rare, expensive and exclusive treat only for the rich. To receive a orange in your stocking or as a gift was a very special treat.
If you didn’t get an orange in your stocking, did you receive Florida oranges as a gift for Christmas?
Once the citrus boom occurred in Florida, Indian River oranges became a wonderful treat to send to loved ones. Indian River oranges enjoy a 100 year history of being a shipped gift fruit. Oranges represent sunshine so to receive a little bit of sunshine during the winter was a wonderful treat. Indian River oranges were known as the best, juiciest and highest quality. That’s where Orange Ring comes into play. Orange Ring is part of a family owned company that has been in business since 1914 growing, packing and shipping delicious fresh Florida citrus and fruit baskets direct to your door.
Why don’t you continue the tradition of shipping Florida oranges? Order your fresh Indian River oranges today at http://orangering.com.
We just recently had a customer post an interesting question on our Facebook page: what is the difference between a Blood orange and Cara Cara orange?
Here’s the similarities between Blood oranges and Cara Cara oranges:
- Both are navels
- Great source of nutrient and vitamins
- Both contain high levels of Vitamin A and Vitamin C
- Both contain disease-fighting antioxidants
- Both contain fiber
- Both have a sweet, distinctive flavor
So what are the differences between Blood oranges and Cara Cara oranges?
Cara Cara oranges:
- Have a pinkish-red flesh inside the orange
- Are pretty much seedless
- Have flavors of cranberry and cherry in the orange flesh
- Slightly tart
- Sweeter version of a grapefruit
- Origin: Venezuela
- Have a maroon/crimson colored flesh inside the orange
- Gets their dark flesh color from anthocynanins, pigments that are found in flowers but not often in citrus fruits
- Have flavors of raspberry in the orange flesh
- Origin: Italy and Spain
Here at Orange Ring, we offer a wide selection of Cara Cara Navel oranges within our gift baskets, gift boxes or in trays. Shop our selection of Cara Cara Navel oranges today! Orangering.com.
It’s that time of year where the semester is winding down for college kids. College finals week usually starts right after Thanksgiving. College kids go from taking a few days off, eating turkey and enjoying family/friends to hitting the books when they get back from Thanksgiving break.
After all the heavy food, treats, pies and desserts your college student ingested during Thanksgiving break, why not give them the gift of some brain food for college finals week? Here at Orange Ring, we have put together a fruit box called “Focus on the Finals Fruit Box” which contains healthy citrus to help them study. Research has shown that smelling citrus can help reduce stress.
Prevention.com states, “Those who sniffed orange oil were less anxious throughout the test, and the beneficial effects even lingered once the exam was over.” The article also states: “The scent of a fresh fruit can do amazing things,” says Barbara Thomley, lead coordinator for the Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program at the Mayo Clinic. “From what we’ve seen with our patients, even a quick smell can make a major difference.”
The Focus on Finals Fruit Box is filled with healthy citrus to send to your college student. Easy to peel Sol Zest Mandarins and our best of season Florida Oranges. We have also included a chocolate gator and a squeeze n sip to drink their sweet juice. Keep them healthy during exam week with some healthy brain food they need to help them get through college exam week. Inhaling a little Florida sunshine will brighten up their day and reduce their stress. Click here to order your Focus on the Finals Fruit box now.
We are in the gift giving season with Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah arriving quickly. As a good boss or good employee, you want to make sure you are giving an appropriate gift to your co-worker. Here are Orange Ring, we have a great selection of corporate gifts that are healthy, easy to order and is something they can actually use at work. Who wouldn’t enjoy snacking on fresh Indian River citrus during the work day?
Consider these corporate gifts for your employees, co-worker or boss:
- Seasons Greetings Gift Basket. Combining all the things office workers love: a festive red holiday gift basket filled with Navel Oranges, Indian River Red Grapefruit, with a variety of nuts, cookies and coffee.
- Holiday Deluxe Fruit Basket. Our Holiday gift baket is loaded with juicy Navels and Indian River Red Grapfruit. We’ve dressed it up for the holidays and addin and extra touch of Christmas with milk chocolate cranberries, gingerbread cookies, holiday blend coffee and peppermint divinity. This makes a memorable gift!
- Traditional Grove Gift Basket. Our Traditional Grove Basket is intentionally reminiscent of the times when wooden crates were the novelty. This nostalgic basket is overflowing with 20 pounds of Navel Oranges and Indian River Red grapefruit, picked when their flavor is at its peak. Great to show your co-worker you appreciate them!
- Key Lime Dessert Lover. The Key Lime Pie is Florida’s state pie. Give your co-worker a vacation to the Florida keys! Travel there year round through the cool, crisp flavors this basket of gourmet goodies. This gift basket includes the following items: Key Lime Juice 16-ounce, Key Lime Cheese Ball & Dessert Mix, Key Lime Créme Brulée, Key Lime Rum Cake, Key Lime Pie Filling & Key Lime Desserts by Joyce LaFray.
These fruit gifts are available for order 24/7 at orangering.com. You can be sure our Indian River citrusis fresh picked and shipped daily.