When you think of a sweet (or tart) Florida orange, you don’t think about munching on an orange peel. However, in addition the the health benefits of the meat inside Florida oranges, their peels provide nutritional benefit as well! After reading this blog post, we hope that you think twice before throwing that orange peel away after enjoying your tasty Florida orange.
Consider the following:
- Orange peels contain over 60 types of flavonoids
- Orange peels contain over 170 types of phytonutrients
- Orange peels are rich in pectins, vitamins, minerals and fiber
Why are flavonoids, phytonutrients and pectins important? They help prevent disease in your body and provide important antioxidants. They also show to have anti-inflammatory benefits, help your cardiovascular system and support your nervous system.
In addition to the nutrients they posses, orange peels also:
- Help with weight loss. How? The peel contains fiber and is low in calories, which adds bulk to your foods and makes you want to eat less.
- Help with respiratory problems. Orange peels have been found effective in treating respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis, lung cancer and the flu. Eating orange peels expels phlegm out of the lungs and contains a natural histamine.
- Get rid of bad breath. Instead of chewing on sugary gum the next time you want clean, fresh breath- consider an orange peel! Orange peels also help whiten teeth and help with sensitive teeth. Chewing, rubbing or applying as a paste will give all these benefits.
- Help with cancer. Orange peels reduce your risk of skin cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer.
- Act as a natural skin treatment. If you want to reduce the look of blemishes and dark spots on your skin, rub orange peels on the problem areas. You can also rub orange peels on your skin to help with sun burn and cleanse pores.
- Improve heart health. The flavones in orange peels are helpful to your heart in that they lower your blood cholesterol levels and lessen inflammation.
If the taste of an orange peel is just to bitter for you, you can zest the orange peels and put on salads, vegetables and desserts. However you decide to eat orange peels, make sure you don’t throw away this important part of Florida oranges! Increase your health by making a new years resolution to eat more orange peels with your oranges today. Order your fresh picked Florida oranges online at orangering.com.
2016 is upon us and so is Honeybell season! Honeybell tangelo season is a treat to look forward to because of its short duration (only lasts the month of January usually). What most people don’t realize, is that the Honeybell tangelo is not an orange at all! The delectable combination of a Darcy tangerine and Duncan grapefruit that produces the delicous, sweet Honeybell Tangelo.
Why be excited about Honeybell tangelos?
- Honeybell tangelos are seedless and very juicy. You can depend on the Honeybell tangelos to have more juice than they have flesh!
- Honeybells are identified by their neck which has a stem shape and the overall shape of the fruit, which is shaped like a bell.
- Honeybell tangelos have a thin skin, which makes them easy to peel. They usually are 3 to 3.5 inches in diameter, which means there is more delicious fruit to enjoy!
- Honeybell tangelos are some of the sweetest citrus available
Honeybell tangelos are also packed with high amounts of Vitamin C, potassium and fiber. This delicious fruit is a great gift for the month of January to help fight off flu season and help get your healthy New Years resolutions on track! Order your 1/2 tray, full tray or up to 4 trays of Honeybell tangelos today at orangering.com. Hurry.. the season is short and availability is limited!
In Chinese culture, a gift of oranges and tangerines are seen as wishing your host an abundance of prosperity and happiness. The bright color of oranges is seen as a symbol of gold, which means it brings good luck and wealth. During Chinese New Year, Mandarin oranges and tangerines are considered traditional symbols of abundance and good fortune. During the two-week celebration, they are frequently displayed as decoration and presented as gifts to friends, relatives, and business associates. You can arrange to give them the perfect gift of good fortune by ordering at orangering.com.
In American culture, orange combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It is associated with joy, sunshine, and the tropics. Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, success and encouragement. Florida oranges being shipped as gift fruit has a 100 year history. You can continue the tradition by ordering fresh, hand-picked Florida oranges at orangering.com.
Regardless of culture, gifting Florida oranges is a great way to help your host or hostess get their New Years Resolutions of eating healthy to a great start. View our blog post on the nutritional benefits of Florida oranges. High doses of Vitamin C help with immunity (which is helpful during flu season) and help prevent cancer.
And if you needed another reason to gift Florida oranges… January is honeybell (tangelo) season! This fruit is sweet and easy to peel. If you’ve never known the pleasure, make sure to put Honeybells on your must-have list. Their season is short and their availability is limited, so order today to secure your delivery of this delicious fruit.
When you were growing up, did you ever receive a Florida orange in your Christmas stocking?
The tradition putting oranges in a Christmas stocking goes back to the story of St. Nicholas back in the 4th century. The origin of oranges in stockings follow this tale:
“One day, Nicholas met a poor man who could not provide dowries for his three daughters, so they could not get married. Nicholas, being both charitable and kind, decided to do something about it. He came to their home the next night and threw three bags of gold for their dowries down the chimney. The bags landed in the stockings the girls had hung to dry in front of the fireplace. In the morning, the girls found the gold in their stockings and were overjoyed. They were now able to marry. Oranges symbolize the bags of gold at the bottom of the stockings.”
Before the 19th century, oranges were a rare, expensive and exclusive treat only for the rich. To receive a orange in your stocking or as a gift was a very special treat.
If you didn’t get an orange in your stocking, did you receive Florida oranges as a gift for Christmas?
Once the citrus boom occurred in Florida, Indian River oranges became a wonderful treat to send to loved ones. Indian River oranges enjoy a 100 year history of being a shipped gift fruit. Oranges represent sunshine so to receive a little bit of sunshine during the winter was a wonderful treat. Indian River oranges were known as the best, juiciest and highest quality. That’s where Orange Ring comes into play. Orange Ring is part of a family owned company that has been in business since 1914 growing, packing and shipping delicious fresh Florida citrus and fruit baskets direct to your door.
Why don’t you continue the tradition of shipping Florida oranges? Order your fresh Indian River oranges today at http://orangering.com.
We just recently had a customer post an interesting question on our Facebook page: what is the difference between a Blood orange and Cara Cara orange?
Here’s the similarities between Blood oranges and Cara Cara oranges:
- Both are navels
- Great source of nutrient and vitamins
- Both contain high levels of Vitamin A and Vitamin C
- Both contain disease-fighting antioxidants
- Both contain fiber
- Both have a sweet, distinctive flavor
So what are the differences between Blood oranges and Cara Cara oranges?
Cara Cara oranges:
- Have a pinkish-red flesh inside the orange
- Are pretty much seedless
- Have flavors of cranberry and cherry in the orange flesh
- Slightly tart
- Sweeter version of a grapefruit
- Origin: Venezuela
- Have a maroon/crimson colored flesh inside the orange
- Gets their dark flesh color from anthocynanins, pigments that are found in flowers but not often in citrus fruits
- Have flavors of raspberry in the orange flesh
- Origin: Italy and Spain
Here at Orange Ring, we offer a wide selection of Cara Cara Navel oranges within our gift baskets, gift boxes or in trays. Shop our selection of Cara Cara Navel oranges today! Orangering.com.
It’s that time of year where the semester is winding down for college kids. College finals week usually starts right after Thanksgiving. College kids go from taking a few days off, eating turkey and enjoying family/friends to hitting the books when they get back from Thanksgiving break.
After all the heavy food, treats, pies and desserts your college student ingested during Thanksgiving break, why not give them the gift of some brain food for college finals week? Here at Orange Ring, we have put together a fruit box called “Focus on the Finals Fruit Box” which contains healthy citrus to help them study. Research has shown that smelling citrus can help reduce stress.
Prevention.com states, “Those who sniffed orange oil were less anxious throughout the test, and the beneficial effects even lingered once the exam was over.” The article also states: “The scent of a fresh fruit can do amazing things,” says Barbara Thomley, lead coordinator for the Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program at the Mayo Clinic. “From what we’ve seen with our patients, even a quick smell can make a major difference.”
The Focus on Finals Fruit Box is filled with healthy citrus to send to your college student. Easy to peel Sol Zest Mandarins and our best of season Florida Oranges. We have also included a chocolate gator and a squeeze n sip to drink their sweet juice. Keep them healthy during exam week with some healthy brain food they need to help them get through college exam week. Inhaling a little Florida sunshine will brighten up their day and reduce their stress. Click here to order your Focus on the Finals Fruit box now.
We are in the gift giving season with Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah arriving quickly. As a good boss or good employee, you want to make sure you are giving an appropriate gift to your co-worker. Here are Orange Ring, we have a great selection of corporate gifts that are healthy, easy to order and is something they can actually use at work. Who wouldn’t enjoy snacking on fresh Indian River citrus during the work day?
Consider these corporate gifts for your employees, co-worker or boss:
- Seasons Greetings Gift Basket. Combining all the things office workers love: a festive red holiday gift basket filled with Navel Oranges, Indian River Red Grapefruit, with a variety of nuts, cookies and coffee.
- Holiday Deluxe Fruit Basket. Our Holiday gift baket is loaded with juicy Navels and Indian River Red Grapfruit. We’ve dressed it up for the holidays and addin and extra touch of Christmas with milk chocolate cranberries, gingerbread cookies, holiday blend coffee and peppermint divinity. This makes a memorable gift!
- Traditional Grove Gift Basket. Our Traditional Grove Basket is intentionally reminiscent of the times when wooden crates were the novelty. This nostalgic basket is overflowing with 20 pounds of Navel Oranges and Indian River Red grapefruit, picked when their flavor is at its peak. Great to show your co-worker you appreciate them!
- Key Lime Dessert Lover. The Key Lime Pie is Florida’s state pie. Give your co-worker a vacation to the Florida keys! Travel there year round through the cool, crisp flavors this basket of gourmet goodies. This gift basket includes the following items: Key Lime Juice 16-ounce, Key Lime Cheese Ball & Dessert Mix, Key Lime Créme Brulée, Key Lime Rum Cake, Key Lime Pie Filling & Key Lime Desserts by Joyce LaFray.
These fruit gifts are available for order 24/7 at orangering.com. You can be sure our Indian River citrusis fresh picked and shipped daily.
Whether your your Thanksgiving traditions are the same year after year or if you are going somewhere different this Thanksgiving, it is a very nice gesture to offer the host a gift of thanks. Consider what the work and preparation the Thanksgiving host has had to do in order to host Thanksgiving festivities! From decoration, recipe planning, food purchase to the actual preparation and serving of the food- a lot of love and effort has been made.
Here are some gift ideas to show your gratitude to your Thanskgiving host:
- Thank You Gift Box. Our famous Indian River citrus speaks for itself. Choose either nine sweet Florida Oranges or six sun-sweetened Indian River Grapefruit or 15 Tangerines. Combine two of the most popular Indian River citrus varieties for a gift they will all enjoy. It’s sized and priced for gifting!
- Florida Hostess Basket. Nearly 11 pounds of mouth-watering Florida citrus; Florida Oranges and Indian River Red Grapefruit join our popular key lime cookies and citrus marmalades in a woven basket. The perfect Florida hostess gift. Contains 11 lbs of citrus (oranges in season and red grapefruit), Key Lime Coolers Cookies, Florida Marmalades and two assorted 3-ounce jars.
- Ring in the Holidays. Help them be ready to celebrate the Christmas / Hanukkah holiday! Ring in the holidays with this joyful gift of sweet Florida Navel Oranges, Indian River Red Grapefruit adorned by delicious bell-shaped chocolates. Give a gift of sunshine with a little holiday flair.
- Holiday Citrus Wreath. Give them something to enjoy during the holidays! Delicious Navel Oranges and Indian River Grapefruit paired with milk chocolate covered cranberries. Citrus and cranberries; the perfect combination for any time of the year.
- Holiday Deluxe Fruit Basket. Our Holiday gift basket is loaded with juicy Navels and Indian River Red Grapfruit. We’ve dressed it up for the holidays and added an extra touch of Christmas with milk chocolate cranberries, gingerbread cookies, holiday blend coffee and peppermint divinity. This makes a memorable gift!
- Honeybell Orange Cake. Give them a taste of Florida. Our Honeybell Orange Bundt Cake is as refreshing as a glass of fresh squeezed pure Florida sunshine! Our moist vanilla cake batter is blended with the sweet flavor of genuine juice from grove fresh Honeybell Tangelos. Light and citrusy, each golden slice of cake glows as bright as a warm island sunset. Garnish with a twist of orange to showcase this cake’s brilliant color. 24 oz. cake.
You Thanksgiving host would appreciate any of these delicious Indian River citrus fruit gifts. You can shop Orange Ring’s full selection of citrus fruit gifts at orangering.com.
When searching for the perfect fruit gift for your family members or friends, sometimes you can’t find that perfect fruit combination you know they would love. Orange Ring has heard your feedback and we have put together a new shopping cart functionality: Build Your Own Box!
What can you include in these fruit gift boxes?
- Cara Cara Red Navel Oranges
- Florida Tangerines
- Navel Oranges
- Ruby Red Grapefruit
- Sol Zest Mandarins
- Sweet Lee Oranges
Now you can build a fruit gift box that includes a delicious selection of fresh Indian River citrus. Our Florida citrus is available based on when they become the most ripe, so please make sure to check the Fruit Calendar so you can anticipate when your oranges will be available.
You can order more than one tray at a time. We actually offer a package discount for ordering 4 trays of Florida citrus! Shop today and build the perfect fruit gift for your friend or loved one.
Have you ever had the chance of tasting the sweet taste of a freshly picked, ripe Florida orange? The bold flavor of Indian River oranges, Indian River grapefruit and Indian River tangerines exude the world-renowned quality of Indian River citrus. That’s why we have created the Fruit of the Month Club! This allows you to choose someone you would love to share the experience of Indian River citrus with and share a fruit tray during the Indian River citrus season. We have 2 types to choose from: a 3 month and a 5 month fruit club. This allows you to pick the month that a specific fruit is in season and ship them to that special person.
The month and citrus that is in season is outlined in this table:
Mid November- Navel Oranges & Ruby Red Grapefruit
December- Navel Oranges & Ruby Red Grapefruit
January- Honeybells & Ruby Red Grapefruit
February- Florida Oranges & Ruby Red Grapefruit
March- Honey Tangerines & Ruby Red Grapefruit
April- Valencia Oranges
You can also reference our fruit calendar for a more comprehensive list.
Be sure to check out our Orange Ring website and put in your order for a 3 month or 5 month of the club as the season is short and you don’t want to miss out! Order your fruit of the month club subscription at orangering.com.